tankgunnerOIF1

RE: galloping ghost
on 7/22/2012 9:06:01 PM
What makes it the best?

bestcellar

on 7/23/2012 3:10:09 PM
It's the best arcade I've ever been to.

Galloping Ghost arcade is THE complete arcade experience. Once you've been there, everything else you've ever known pales in comparison. From the moment you walk through the door until the time you leave, it is unlike any other arcade you've ever been to.

Admission is a flat $15 fee, which permits you total access to the arcade floor for the entire day - including re-entry should you decide to take a break and come back a couple of hours later. The arcade is open 365 days of the year (366 on leap years) until 2am, and opens as early as 11am on the weekends (1pm other days). That means $15 buys you up to 15 hours of arcade gameplay - an unreal value for a very manageable cost. If you're so inclined to consider weekly, monthly, or even a yearly pass - GG offers that at astonishing price breaks. Within two weeks of going to Galloping Ghost I purchased a year pass at a price that makes each of my visit a fraction of the daily cost.

The floor includes over 350 titles to choose from, across all genres and eras. While it is not yet the largest US arcade, it's the fastest growing one, and one of the most impressive collections anyone has ever assembled. It's not just a retro '80s arcade that stops at a certain arbitrary year; the floor also includes many games released in the 90s and beyond, including relatively obscure games not found anywhere else in the US.

Moreover, the games are organized by genre, and grouped together in such a way to encourage trying a new game that plays similarly one of your old favorites sitting next to it. While this seems like a minute thing, the arcade experience is completely predicated upon getting lost in a game or set of games for hours. Galloping Ghost does that like no other arcade.

The staff is always on top of repairs, and always encourages the players to track and post scores, which cultivates a strong community vibe similar to what Aurcade does online. I've made so many friends already through the arcade over the brief time I've been there.

Although I have hung out at arcades for a lot of my life, I was always very casual about the experience. Galloping Ghost has made me so much more interested in the world of arcade games and the arcade experience in particular.

I highly recommend taking in the experience for yourself.

tankgunnerOIF1

on 7/23/2012 5:46:04 PM
Thanks for the rundown. Cant wait to check it out. Seems like they are doing it right.

Ghostlord
Official

on 7/24/2012 12:30:48 AM
Thanks for the kind words about our arcade.
If any Aurcade users stop in the Galloping Ghost Arcade, please let us know!

Nashvillan
Admin

on 7/24/2012 3:55:37 AM
If I ever make it to the Chicago area, I'll be sure to pay a visit.

Do you guys keep track of any units that are pulled off the floor for repairs or anything like that?

tmbr_wulf

on 7/24/2012 11:00:26 AM
I have a friend that was there yesterday, he usually makes it down 3 or 4 times a year on his odd days off. I haven't been since last March, so I'm way overdue. I'm really looking forward to making it down on one of the days when the pinball room is open, pins are the hardest to find.

ehafh

on 7/30/2012 5:04:03 PM
Nashvillan Wrote:
If I ever make it to the Chicago area, I'll be sure to pay a visit.

Do you guys keep track of any units that are pulled off the floor for repairs or anything like that?

it would definitely be worth your time! especially if pinball is open that night and you enjoy playing those. just the sight of 10 ( i forgot exactly how many ) machines in working order is really something to behold these days.

GGA is pretty good about updating what's on the floor, or what's being repaired here:
facebook group - http://www.facebook.com/groups/312550418372/
homepage - http://www.gallopingghostarcade.com/games_list.htm
that list is probably 95% accurate, at the moment maybe one or two are actually being repaired that aren't on the repair list.

but for what it's worth this place does like 2+ events every week, and BIG events every so often. after going a couple times you can tell it's got a lot of love put into it.
unlike some of the big chains, dave and busters or enchanted castle for example.

lakeman421

on 7/30/2012 5:16:11 PM
Sounds like a place I'd like to visit. I wish more places were like that to help revive the arcade scene.

tankgunnerOIF1

on 7/30/2012 6:58:18 PM
It shows who really cares about the gaming culture. It would be nice to have real time scores like Galloping Ghost to show who really is in first.

Steve W

on 7/30/2012 8:35:08 PM
jackmehoff Wrote:
It shows who really cares about the gaming culture. It would be nice to have real time scores like Galloping Ghost to show who really is in first.

http://aurcade.com/forums/default.aspx?a=top&id=2395

tankgunnerOIF1

on 7/30/2012 8:42:46 PM
@Steve If you cant beat em. Join em.

lakeman421

on 9/22/2012 10:23:36 AM
I drove into Chicago last night and checked it out for the last few hours. It was a really nice place with a lot of great games to choose from. I liked the free play idea, I had never seen that before, but it encouraged me to try new games I have never played before without the thought of having to buy more tokens. The machines were packed close together giving it a great arcade vibe. They had some other nice features like the live scoreboard and tagging machines with the world record and the arcade's record creating competition. I would recommend it.

Nashvillan
Admin

on 9/22/2012 4:27:44 PM
lakeman421 Wrote:
I drove into Chicago last night and checked it out for the last few hours. It was a really nice place with a lot of great games to choose from. I liked the free play idea, I had never seen that before, but it encouraged me to try new games I have never played before without the thought of having to buy more tokens. The machines were packed close together giving it a great arcade vibe. They had some other nice features like the live scoreboard and tagging machines with the world record and the arcade's record creating competition. I would recommend it.

The live scoreboard is probably Aurcade's use of the scoreboard. Your Aurcade Players Card should work there.
Something else I hear that GG also has is an achievement system for returning players. Players can unlock certain achievements while playing there.

lakeman421

on 9/23/2012 10:55:57 AM
That sounds pretty cool, keep interest in the classics. I just got to Denver today, I'll have to check the 1UP.

GodHand

on 9/24/2012 3:10:41 PM
Hey ghostlord and bestcellar, I too am a regular over at the GGA holding a few records. Been going to arcades for 20+ years and this hands down is the best arcade I've ever been too. The players are awesome. And the staff top notch... I'm there pretty much every Saturday...Pac-ManInkyBlinkyPinkySue

Page: of 1 Page

Forums  Galloping Ghost Arcade  galloping ghost

Recent Scores
James White
4/17/2024
Mases Hagopian
4/18/2024
Andrew Iwaszko
4/18/2024
Andrew Iwaszko
4/18/2024
Kevin Jimenez