Not Loged In - Login Now or Create Account
Public Forums
Forums   General Discussion  Default 3 lives setting -- sometimes not default?

AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
trickman
Official

Default 3 lives setting -- sometimes not default?
on 11/1/2016 3:17:01 PM
Weren't many (or all) arcade games set at 3 lives by arcade operators by (factory) default BITD? And if so, wouldn't scoring be done on default settings from the time these arcade games were released until now? I understand the concept of Tournament settings and such, and for those settings, the number of lives could be changed. However, in more than a few cases, I've seen Aurcade (and Twin Galaxies) factory default settings for many popular arcade games set at 2, 4 and 5 lives. The most recent setting I discovered was that Aurcade default for Double Dragon has been set at 2 lives. I personally believe all of the arcade games, especially the classics (unless they didn't have a life-scoring system) should be default at 3 lives.

Thoughts?

sidseattle

RE: Default 3 lives setting -- sometimes not default?
on 11/1/2016 6:22:52 PM
Trickman, well, being there bitd..most games started with three lives. Some exceptions where and when  I grew up were...
Mario bros started with five
Frogger started with five(even then..frogger was too hard for most people)
Double dragon gave you two lives..unlimited continues..

Elevator action returns, shinobi,rolling thunder were some of the first games that I noticed..a life bar..and not indivual lives..

Rob/sid

Nashvillan
Admin

on 11/2/2016 10:53:32 AM
I seem to remember Double Dragon defaulted at two lives.
The Ninjawarriors, UN Squadron, Robocop, Golden Axe II: Revenge of Death Adder, and I think 1943 all defaulted with one life with a health bar.

I don't remember Frogger at 5 lives.
Some games even allowed the option to insert more coins for more lives.  Gorf and Omega Race for example gave 3 lives for one credit and 7 lives for two credits.

Certain games do have tournament settings like Robotron and Joust where you get five lives but cannot earn any free lives.

Crimefighter

on 11/2/2016 8:09:37 PM
Golden Axe a lot of places were set to one life per credit - maybe because people got too good at it, and if you were going for score having two lives cut your score down at the end.

trickman
Official

on 11/6/2016 5:35:56 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm still a stickler for most games being on 3 lives, but for certain others I can be flexible.

sidseattle

on 11/8/2016 12:01:22 AM
Trickman..I much like you prefer lives(3) not life bars...

Page: of 1 Page

Forums   General Discussion  Default 3 lives setting -- sometimes not default?

Recent Scores
Mases Hagopian
4/18/2024
Andrew Iwaszko
4/18/2024
Andrew Iwaszko
4/18/2024
James White
4/15/2024
Kevin Jimenez
4/15/2024