Not Loged In - Login Now or Create Account
Public Forums
Forums  Repair: Audio/Video  Sanyo EZ20 Monitor will not power on the first time

AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
ryebread

Sanyo EZ20 Monitor will not power on the first time
on 1/6/2010 12:45:56 PM
I've posted this on other forums, but never was able to find a resolution.

My Donkey Kong machine turns on just fine (board powers up, I hear the startup sound, marquee lights up, etc.). My only issue is that I have to constantly turn it on/off for the monitor to power on and display an image.

Things I've tried:

I thought perhaps it was warming up, so I turned it on once and left it on for a solid 5 minutes, and then turned it off and on. No luck - I still had to turn it on/off a few times before it turned on.

I also found that unplugging/replugging (while it's off, of course) seems to make it turn on quicker, but that may just all be in my head.

Things noted:

Once it comes on, it will stay on. It never turns off during gameplay. If I were to turn it off and back on, it will come up right away. After a long period of not using it, however, the symptom emerges.

If anyone has any input, I'd love to hear it. It's the only thing keeping me from putting it at my friends shop, and out of my basement.

Thanks,

Ryan

MasterFygar

RE: Sanyo EZ20 Monitor will not power on the first time
on 1/6/2010 1:53:35 PM
I had a similar issue with a Dig Dug and it was a cap on the PCB, would work sometimes and other times would not boot up or scramble it up on screen... sometimes it would scroll and stuff. Not sure if that helps with a DK or not but it's closest thing I know to tell you from personal experience.

From what I've read similar, though, I would try a new cap kit for the monitor specifically. That or a flyback (http://www.cinelabs.com/sanyo/) although I don't think the symptoms match up...

ryebread

on 1/6/2010 2:44:19 PM
The guy who sold it to me told me he re-capped it before selling, but I guess I can't be too certain. I'll purchase a cap kit, if anything it'd be a learning experience.

I hear these things are a pain to cap, luckily I'm armed with some decent soldering skills. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for the quick response!

Auric
Founder

on 1/6/2010 8:21:55 PM
Yeah, always recap yourself when in doubt. Never assume that they did recap it, or for that matter if they did, that they did it correctly.

I drank WHAT!?! - Socrates

ryebread

on 1/10/2010 2:20:14 PM
There seems to be a lot of options to purchase recap kits - anyone have any recommendation?

Auric
Founder

on 1/10/2010 7:54:49 PM
I'm a big fan of ArcadeShop:
http://www.arcadeshop.com/

I drank WHAT!?! - Socrates

ryebread

on 1/10/2010 11:29:48 PM
I bought a bezel from him, it looks stunning. ArcadeShop it is!

awesome

on 5/19/2011 7:52:56 PM
Hmmm. As an engineer, my mind works through the issue like this...

You have issues getting it started.
It takes multiple attempts to get it to work.
If you get it to work for a period of time, and power it off, it works first time everytime when you turn off and back on.

Based on that. I would think you have a short somewhere. When the game is on for a period of time it becomes hot and completes the connection so it works everytime unless you leave it off for a long period of time (enought to let it cool off). The act of turning the game on is creating a surge and slightly warming the short. Do it over and over and eventually you get it warm enough that it makes the connection and works.

Now the big question is where on Earth is the short. I've heard of different types of short problems where trying to blow dry areas (or heat gun) helped narrow it down. Not sure how that might help you though. I would be tempted to post a question on this on Rasterlist as there are many great tech people there that might be able to help. Vectorlist has more activity but Rasterlist is the appropriate one for this.

I would check to see that you are getting the correct voltage to the monitor when it is not working. That will tell you if the problem is in the power block or in the monitor itself.

Page: of 1 Page

Forums  Repair: Audio/Video  Sanyo EZ20 Monitor will not power on the first time

Recent Scores
Andrew Iwaszko
4/22/2024
Brandon Travis
4/22/2024
Andrew Iwaszko
4/22/2024
Andrew Iwaszko
4/22/2024
James White
4/22/2024