Not Loged In - Login Now or Create Account
Public Forums
Forums  Galloping Ghost Arcade  Visiting Galloping Ghost

AuthorComments: Go To First PageGo To Previous Page Page: of 3 PagesGo To Next PageGo To Last Page
The_Pro
Admin

RE: Visiting Galloping Ghost
on 9/4/2012 7:20:14 PM
Oh and the bus was a pretty easy trip. Most I waited at a connection was an hour and I often got on an early bus. Every second bus had an outlet and sometimes wifi so I was constantly on my laptop or playing my DS, so basically a day off. Customer service is shitty at some stations but other than that I would have no problem doing it again, even if it wasn't a huge money saver.

zhorik

on 9/5/2012 3:50:33 AM
The_Pro Wrote:
Double cabinets? Genius.
Yeah, I really like all the double cabinets and think they are a great way to stick with original boards/controls while increasing the number of games available. I could see certain record keeping organizations (TG) complaining, but you can't please everyone, and personally I don't care.

For those that don't know, double cabinets are things like putting both an original Time Pilot and a Time Pilot '84 PCB in the same cabinet and having a switcher that controls which one you are playing. Galloping Ghost has quite a few double cabinets like this.

-George

The_Pro
Admin

on 8/5/2014 11:38:24 PM
Might as well revive this old post. I'm doing another trip to the Galloping Ghost. Sometime in the second half of september, driving in by car so my schedule isn't fixed, I might make various stops on the way.

Anyway, I know there's some FGC stuff going on there. I'm pretty casual in fighters, I like to watch mostly, except Soul Calibur II, anyone up there still play that? I can never find opponents, I'd totally drag my gamecube up there.

Nashvillan
Admin

on 8/7/2014 5:15:13 PM
I hope to someday make it up there too!  Can't afford to go much anywhere at the moment.

CptJivePants

on 8/7/2014 5:35:27 PM
Looking forward to it, Martin. Please keep us updated on when you think you will be heading down so we can try to make it out and join you. I'm not a fighting game person myself, but I'm always willing to try.

Teter

RLKDragon

on 8/7/2014 11:58:37 PM
The_Pro Wrote:
Might as well revive this old post. I'm doing another trip to the Galloping Ghost. Sometime in the second half of september, driving in by car so my schedule isn't fixed, I might make various stops on the way.

Anyway, I know there's some FGC stuff going on there. I'm pretty casual in fighters, I like to watch mostly, except Soul Calibur II, anyone up there still play that? I can never find opponents, I'd totally drag my gamecube up there.

Dude, SoulCal 2 is my jam!  Unfortunately, the FGC at the Ghost is mostly MK, Killer Instinct, and Injustice.
The arcade does have a Gamecube, and if they don't have it, maybe I can request them to get SoulCal 2 down there for sure.

The_Pro
Admin

on 8/8/2014 9:00:04 PM
RLKDragon Wrote:
Dude, SoulCal 2 is my jam!  Unfortunately, the FGC at the Ghost is mostly MK, Killer Instinct, and Injustice.
The arcade does have a Gamecube, and if they don't have it, maybe I can request them to get SoulCal 2 down there for sure.

Don't worry about it, I'll bring my own. I'm not tournament level but I held my own at Magfest last year, I mainly lack experience against good players.

The_Pro
Admin

on 8/16/2014 5:34:47 PM
Locked in my dates for September 18th to 25th.

RLKDragon

on 8/17/2014 3:15:38 AM
The_Pro Wrote:
Locked in my dates for September 18th to 25th.

Cool beans.  See you when you get here.  Where will you be staying?

The_Pro
Admin

on 8/17/2014 1:24:29 PM
Rodeway Lyons, kinda shitty but it's walking distance.

bestcellar

on 8/18/2014 2:12:43 PM
Really excited about your visit, Martin. I'll definitely be in that week. Maybe we can all do a meal together. Hoping you'll put up some big scores on some of the japanese shooters like the DonPachi series and Ikaruga.

The_Pro
Admin

on 8/18/2014 6:12:41 PM
I do really like those games but I've never committed a lot of time to getting near WR scores on them, being fully aware of what the WR scores would involve time wise. I hate the chaining in donpachi so at best I could go for a finished game, maybe around 20 million? It's not the mechanic itself but the timing is just so unfair compared to Dodonpachi. I used to finish Ikaruga on the gamecube but with minimal chains, full chain would take a long time to learn, especially stage 4.

Anyway, I'll practice what I can before coming down. I can surely put up some new aurcade high scores but I don't have any true WR's up my sleeve for shooters at the moment.

The_Pro
Admin

on 8/18/2014 6:13:56 PM
Oh and that assumes default settings for donpachi. You guys and your wacky settings ;).

CptJivePants

on 8/19/2014 11:54:27 AM
Gotta love the Rodeway. Perhaps we can plan a trip to Headquarters, Underground Retrocade, and/or Logan's while you are here. I should be able to take a day off one of those weekdays to head drive or join you on the train.

bestcellar

on 8/19/2014 5:38:37 PM
Martin, they've actually changed the settings back to default, so they are no longer wacky. :) My scores on donpachi simply represents a very poor 1CC. Bee storm isn't even a 1CC yet. Do Donpachi and Daioujou represent the first two levels full chained, and an otherwise mediocre 1CC on the former and gaining level 4 on the latter. Ikaruga is just the first two levels at A rank and only getting to the third mini boss. All are fairly vulnerable scores to skilled players who have experience on the games.

The_Pro
Admin

on 8/19/2014 6:42:26 PM
Is your Donpachi score for 2 loops? Seems like it should be more than 7 mil even without chains.

Yeah I'm down for driving around since I have a vehicle this time.

bestcellar

on 8/19/2014 7:01:26 PM
The score you should be referencing is the 9.7 million - and it represents just one loop. It's super low for one loop.

bestcellar

on 8/21/2014 12:41:56 PM
I shouldn't say it's "super low" I just really fucked up level one and had about 400,000 less than I should have because I broke an easy chain. I almost gave up on the game but I kept going just to practice and ended up with the 1CC. Go figure. Watched part of your stream from last night. Are you aware of how the Get Points System works for chaining? There's no full chains in the game, but which enemy you kill first in the really big autochains it makes a tremendous difference in score. Killing the largest enemy first is always the objective. Play around with that in level 1 with that big tank towards the end.

I also prefer the C ship to the A ship, but that's because it's easier to chain with. You give up a lot in speed and maneuverability.

The_Pro
Admin

on 8/22/2014 1:26:46 AM
I'm aware of the big enemy first scoring. Last night was really just me setting up save states. Which I'll probably have to do again anyway since it was on the US version and I found out GGA has JP.

I hear there all all kinds of secrets to scoring high on the first loop (near 40M) but the top players are keeping it all secret. I've no interest in spending a huge amount of time trying to figure that out so I'm going to focus less on chains and more on learning the route and getting the capacity bonus on the second loop.

bestcellar

on 8/22/2014 11:29:24 AM
I'm 99.99% the DonPachi settings are US now at the Ghost (I was the one who had them reset after the shmups forum/zerst complained). I'll confirm that this weekend. The 6.7 million score was when the machine was on Japanese settings. They're on US now, and that 9.7 score is a low 1CC on US.

http://www.aurcade.com/games/format.aspx?id=742

Go To First PageGo To Previous Page Page: of 3 PagesGo To Next PageGo To Last Page

Forums  Galloping Ghost Arcade  Visiting Galloping Ghost

Recent Scores
Andrew Brown
4/19/2024
James White
4/17/2024
Mases Hagopian
4/18/2024
Andrew Iwaszko
4/18/2024
Andrew Iwaszko
4/18/2024