Not Loged In - Login Now or Create Account
Public Forums
Forums  The American Classic Arcade Museum at Funspot  ACAM 14th Annual Classics Championship

AuthorComments:  Page: of 7 PagesGo To Next PageGo To Last Page
MrDo17

ACAM 14th Annual Classics Championship
on 5/20/2012 4:31:08 PM
Who's ready? What games do you think will be part of the tournament and also the mystery games of the day?

Nashvillan
Admin

RE: ACAM 14th Annual Classics Championship
on 5/20/2012 6:18:29 PM
I don't care what games they have. I'm just excited to finally get to go to this!

Though if I had to choose. My desire would be Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja and Revolution X. I won't hold out for them though. :)

Rob Ross

on 5/20/2012 9:22:40 PM
Funspot raised money to buy 5 new games this year. I'd bet a load of cash we see those 5 games in the tourney.

Black Widow
Space Dungeon
Discs of Tron
Solar Fox
Mad Planets

They also usually throw in a Williams game so expect to see Defender, Stargate or Robotron.

Plus a pair of racing games like Stocker or Pole Position 2.

And finally some off the wall stuff like Pooyan or Qix.

redelf

on 5/21/2012 4:53:08 PM
I'm excited, will be arriving on Monday. Always hoping for Williams and Atari
either in the tourney or for the Manufactures challenge. Mystery game is so
random you just hope it's something that you have played before.

Rob Ross

on 5/21/2012 6:43:17 PM
I don't think a Williams Manufacturer's Challenge would work. However, Atari would be interesting depending on the 5 games chosen.

My plan is to arrive first thing Thursday morning.

mpstulir

on 5/22/2012 5:22:28 PM
Rob Ross Wrote:
Funspot raised money to buy 5 new games this year.

Incorrect.

The American Classic Arcade Museum (ACAM) held a fundraiser to purchase games. ACAM is the first 501c3 non-profit volunteer-operated museum dedicated to preserving classic coin-op games. ACAM may be located on the 3rd floor of Funspot, but ACAM and Funspot are two entire separate entities. Funspot is a for-profit business with skee-ball, mini-golf, bowling, etc. ACAM is a non-profit that focuses on classic coin-op preservation.

ACAM is NOT Funspot, and should not be referred to as Funspot.

Auric
Founder

on 5/22/2012 11:00:04 PM
*pokes Mike*

I drank WHAT!?! - Socrates

Rob Ross

on 5/23/2012 2:34:52 PM
A thousand apologizes for not being accurate in my quickly typed post about the 5 new games. Yes, I know the difference between Funspot and ACAM inside Funspot. And I realize how the money was raised.

The larger point was how the games would be in the tournament because they were new to the players.

Nashvillan
Admin

on 5/23/2012 8:35:42 PM
Hmm... my local arcade has Discs of Tron AND Black Widow...
Guess I better get practicing! :D

My point is, those games may be new to ACAM, but they are still out there in the wild and some folks may not necessarily perceive them as new just because ACAM just got them in.

Some games you just know will not be in the tournament lineup... like Sinistar.

Rob Ross

on 5/23/2012 8:53:47 PM
Sinister was in the tourney 2 years ago...I believe. Solid game. I suck at it, but solid game.

IMO we need games that those top tier players aren't very good at to even out the competition. Or games where scores get very bunched up. I'm thinking Death Race, Track & Field, Karate Champ, Juno First, Hyper Sports, Tutankham, Pooyan, Outrun, Pole Position 2...possibly even Gauntlet, Lunar Lander or Xevious. Maybe throw in an obscure laser disker for good measure.

Steve W

on 5/23/2012 10:15:15 PM
Rob Ross Wrote:
Sinister was in the tourney 2 years ago...I believe. Solid game. I suck at it, but solid game.

IMO we need games that those top tier players aren't very good at to even out the competition. Or games where scores get very bunched up. I'm thinking Death Race, Track & Field, Karate Champ, Juno First, Hyper Sports, Tutankham, Pooyan, Outrun, Pole Position 2...possibly even Gauntlet, Lunar Lander or Xevious. Maybe throw in an obscure laser disker for good measure.

Karate Champ was in a few years ago and there is a tactic in the game that can be exploited. Juno First is marathonable, Hyper Sports was in the Centuri challenge last year. Gauntlet is marathonable, I don't think Lunar Lander is on the floor and Xevious can be played for hours by top players.

I think ACAM does a great job selecting games for these tourneys, it is not an easy task. The top players are going to excel at nearly every game as they learn rather quickly if there isn't experience already with a title.

Rob Ross

on 5/23/2012 10:23:27 PM
I too feel Gary selects good games. I really enjoyed the Manu Challenge last year and the Main the year before.

I did not realize Gauntlet or Juno First were marathonable.

What games would you recommend Steve?

Rob Ross

on 5/23/2012 10:31:34 PM
Lemme throw this out there...if the top players are going to excel at almost every game, maybe the tournament should have a "pro" level and an "amateur" level.

The 15 or so pros duke it out for $1000 for top spot. No second, third, etc payouts.

The rest play for the other prize money split between 1st 2nd and 3rd place.

The Manufacturers Challenge $500 can't be won by either the pro or amateur champ.

IMO that would spread the money out better.

To play devils advocate for a moment - If you glance at the last few years the same people are winning the money and that may lead to a reduction of players showing up in future years. Maybe there should be some mechanisms in place to handicap the field like in golf.

moneill139

on 5/23/2012 10:43:40 PM
I brought that up to Gary. Should be a tier system. He said unfortunately there would be to many sandbaggers but I believe they can be weeded out.
I think a teir system would be great for the industry. Same people every year is as old as Donkey Kong being overrated.

Steve W

on 5/23/2012 10:52:19 PM
Rob Ross Wrote:
Maybe there should be some mechanisms in place to handicap the field like in golf.

Only problem is unlike golf, top classic arcade players are not going to have a bad day or days, there is no degree of luck or good fortune that propels to victory in a 15 game tourney. There is only preparation and execution.

Steve W

on 5/23/2012 10:54:56 PM
Rob Ross Wrote:
I too feel Gary selects good games. I really enjoyed the Manu Challenge last year and the Main the year before.

I did not realize Gauntlet or Juno First were marathonable.

What games would you recommend Steve?

No idea. I liked the manufactuer's challenge last year :)

I would seek games that kick everyone's ass I guess, Venture is one of them off the top of my head.

Rob Ross

on 5/23/2012 11:00:43 PM
I agree sandbaggers could be weeded out. If they checked the records for all the Funspot tourneys you'll see who places at the upper end.

Top of my head I would list the pros as Cram, Nelson, Mcallister, Richard, Votava, Wagner, Mike SP, Geddes, Hayes, Laue, Faust, MacAuley, Reuhs, Falls, Mruczek and Bedard. That's 16 top gamers. The list could probably be stretched to 20.

To play super duper devil's advocate - why should I pay $500 on gas, food, lodging, entry fee and beer from Star in the tavern to enter a tournament I have no chance of placing in? Where the same hand full of guys kicks my butt year after year. Luckily, I'm a glutton for punishment...plus David and his crew run a top notch event and I really enjoy socializing with the good people there.

moneill139

on 5/23/2012 11:05:04 PM
5 games should be:

Wack a Mole(With a Glock 23)
Bumper Cars(With cup of beer. No spills)
Big Bass(Fakest enthusiasm)
That restored boat from the that crappy restoration TV show(Must watch whole episode while riding andnot falling asleep)
Air Hockey(Must play against a girl not related to you)

Prizes:
1st Place- chinese finger cuffs
2nd Place- cup of candy
Third Place- skull ring
Mentioned Honorably- Funspot pen that doesn't write

Steve W

on 5/23/2012 11:06:42 PM
Rob Ross Wrote:
I really enjoy socializing with the good people there.

Quite honestly that's the main reason I go. I see my friends that aren't local to me maybe once or 2x a year. I like to socialize above the gaming. I think last year was the first time I played in any of the events (though I always register anyways for support). I like to enjoy my vacation with beer and the space harrier cockpit :)

moneill139

on 5/23/2012 11:18:28 PM
Discs of Tron and Space Dungeon are currently on the floor. Alot of the big boys have been up to test them out but you never know what the actual games may be.

Page: of 7 PagesGo To Next PageGo To Last Page

Forums  The American Classic Arcade Museum at Funspot  ACAM 14th Annual Classics Championship

Recent Scores
Thomas Boyer
5/4/2024
Matt Gladem
5/4/2024
Brad Bach
4/29/2024
Brandon Travis
5/3/2024
Steven Lucas
4/27/2024