Not Loged In - Login Now or Create Account
Public Forums
Forums  The American Classic Arcade Museum at Funspot  ACAM 14th Annual Classics Championship

AuthorComments: Go To First PageGo To Previous Page Page: of 7 Pages
ogmix

RE: ACAM 14th Annual Classics Championship
on 6/5/2012 8:18:04 PM
Why not just incorporate Bumper Beer Spill and The Coin Goes Where? into a 16th game triathlon. All we need to do is come up with a 3rd event. No Rob, Jailbait or Not isn't going to work.

Robert

on 6/5/2012 8:21:21 PM
Phase 1: Collect Underpants
Phase 2: ?
Phase 3: Profit

I suppose in this Underpants Gnomes business model that if Phase 2 was ever identified there may be profits. But most businesses and events have other expenses. Not sure why you are not seeing that.

falcor781

on 6/5/2012 8:57:45 PM
Rob Ross Wrote:
I thought we had decided the 16th game would involve the players [from 1st place on down] having to take a hot girl from zero to satisfy in 10 minutes to collect the prize money. But I'm on board for Bumper Beer Spill.

On a side note - did you see the bumper cars Saturday afternoon? It was wall to wall toddler action. They would have eaten us alive down there!

My boyfriend would've not been too thrilled if I had to turn tricks with a woman to get the prize money :) Come to think of it, I would've have either ::chuckle::

lakeman421

on 6/5/2012 9:03:06 PM
Rob Ross Wrote:
And I know my math skills can be imperfect, but let me give one last shot at it.

127 players entered - a stat from this site
$60 entry fee

127 x $60 = $7620
That number should be damn close to accurate.

Prizes
Manu Challenge - $500
Pinball #1 - $50
Pinball #2 - $50
Pinball #3 - $50
Pinball #4 - $50
Main Tourney 1st - $750
Main Tourney 2nd - $500? - this has never been confirmed [to me]
Main Tourney 3rd - $250? - this has never been confirmed [to me]

So total prize payouts is APPROX $2200

Therefore, $7620 - $2200 = $5420

IMHO, this event made a profit. Whether it is Funspot or ACAM or whomever. Hell, next time I'm down there I'll ask Bob Lawton himself.

Just why this can't be acknowledged as a positive for the host running the event is beyond me. This should be sung from the roof tops about how classic games can still draw players and money.

As my experience as a competitor golfer, I have played many events with charity or nonprofits as the main focus while competitors have fun playing golf and socializing. Same idea with this event. I had fun playing games and competing along with meeting and socializing with great people. With that being said, at the end of these charity golf tournaments, they usually state how much money was raised, and what will be donated to the focused organization. As a regular player at Funspot, it would be my interest to see how much was raised to a great cause and a place I love, and to keep classic gaming going strong.

falcor781

on 6/5/2012 9:06:38 PM
Rob Ross Wrote:
Main Tourney 1st - $750
Main Tourney 2nd - $500? - this has never been confirmed [to me]
Main Tourney 3rd - $250? - this has never been confirmed [to me]

Payouts were $750, $300, $100. They announced the values/awards during the closing ceremony which took place on Sunday.

Rob Ross

on 6/5/2012 9:21:17 PM
Thank you Michael for finally listing those prizes.

So my math was off by a bit.

Should be $7620 - $1850 = $5770

@Robbie
Ya, we have the world's largest beach volleyball tourney here in Ottawa. They have a concert afterwards and the promoters always come on stage to list off the stats of the event.....gets a huge round of applause every time.

Robert

on 6/6/2012 12:42:53 AM
Wow,,.a thread that shows the cost of running an unrelated event.

Lo and behold, additional expenses are involved. Gee...what a surprise !!

http://forums.mxtrax.co.uk/showthread.php?51791-cost-of-running-events

Nashvillan
Admin

on 6/6/2012 1:13:49 AM
Just so you know, I made my debut at this event as well. There was also a $250 prize for the Manufacture's Challenge (and there's a whole nutha' thread on that), and there was $200 in prizes for the mystery game of the day. The $200 was divided into four different mystery games. Winning each game per day netted $50 prize (which I took down one of them! Yaaay!)

To offset this, there was also a raffle held with a variety of donated prizes ranging from shot glasses, to salt & pepper shakers, to a two night stay at a nice hotel, even a gaming computer and Nintendo GameCube. Judging from the number of raffle tickets in the bins, I'd say a couple hundred dollars was raised as a result.

Reps from MagFest and Gamer Soda (?) were also on hand during the event. The real deal though was the New York Times was on hand to document this event. That will generate a big buzz. I think one of the photographers even asked me to show her the Wall of Fame and she caught a glimpse of Keith's famous mug shot.on there. Funny stuff. :) Some stuff like that you can't put a price on. It is an amazing venue with amazing people that run it.

falcor781

on 6/6/2012 1:22:06 AM
Nashvillan Wrote:
It is an amazing venue with amazing people that run it.

Agreed -- ACAM does all it can to make the event as successful as possible. It's an unimaginable amount of hard work, dedication, planning and coordination. We do appreciate it! I often refer to the tournament as my "Christmas in June" :).

ACAM
ACAM Admin

on 6/11/2012 3:52:22 PM

Go To First PageGo To Previous Page Page: of 7 Pages

Forums  The American Classic Arcade Museum at Funspot  ACAM 14th Annual Classics Championship

Recent Scores
Thomas Boyer
5/4/2024
Matt Gladem
5/4/2024
Brad Bach
4/29/2024
Brandon Travis
5/3/2024
Steven Lucas
4/27/2024