Not Loged In - Login Now or Create Account
Public Forums
Forums  The American Classic Arcade Museum at Funspot  ACAM 14th Annual Classics Championship

AuthorComments: Go To First PageGo To Previous Page Page: of 7 PagesGo To Next PageGo To Last Page
mpstulir

RE: ACAM 14th Annual Classics Championship
on 5/24/2012 4:57:55 PM
Rob Ross Wrote:
Wasn't there a game last year where the score went away very quickly?

Quantum, and it was removed from the tournament as soon as we realized we had missed that during our selection process.

Rob Ross Wrote:
And wasn't there a problem with a trick on the game Roadrunner where a sign was posted on it to not do something?

Yes, and an Aurcade ref (generally David or Graham) were there to make sure that the exploit was not being used. Again, we only have so many people and we can't put a dedicated official on every game. I do not know how to make that any more clear to you. The Road Runner situation was such that it could be monitored, but I cannot put someone on every game.

moneill139

on 5/24/2012 5:44:17 PM
Idon't know why I didn't think of this before. I live 2miles from Funspot. I know for some people finances can be an issue just to be able to make the trek. Lodging and food costs especially. I have a good size piece of property. For next year I'll extend my hospitality to anyone who just needs a place to crash, electricity, shower, and a good breakfast. I'll figure it out for next year.

Rob Ross

on 5/24/2012 6:11:07 PM
A place to stay is a huge expense - I bet people would take you up on your offer.

I was just Facebooking another player who said he can only go for 1 day, maybe two cause of the cost, plus he'd have to drive 3hours back home at night.

And I know 7 other players who aren't going this year cuz of the same reason. Some of us bottom feeders that don't walk away with cheques just can't afford to go.

moneill139

on 5/24/2012 6:20:06 PM
I'll definitely plan it out.

Rob Ross

on 5/24/2012 6:23:00 PM
@moneill
Got you mixed up with some other local. Nice people around those parts and very well versed in their hockey knowledge.

@mpstulir
I'm not trying to ruffle your feathers. Just throwing out ideas to help the bottom feeders. The same people are winning every year and some players are sick of it - even if I'm the only one with balls enough to say it. There were actually a few douchebag maneuvers performed last year by certain players that really turned off people and they aren't coming back because of it. I'm not going to air those out here but they happened.

Now back to the games. What about Frogger? Is that marathonable? Is it a good selection? And how about gun games like Cheyenne?

Rob Ross

on 5/24/2012 6:28:56 PM
@moneill
There should be an Axe body spray station set up for the non hygienic folk. Or we give the scores deodorant and when the players lift their arms to get the scorers attention they are freshened up?

Juno First is a fine game. I enjoy playing it and struggle to get to 120,000. I'll buy anyone a beer downstairs who let's me watch them do a million+ score.

moneill139

on 5/24/2012 6:36:57 PM
@RobRoss. I'm with ya dude. They need to section it out like A B and C class. It is the same people all the damn time. With a sort of caste system it would keep the gaming alive.
Dude 120000 on Juno first is where me and my bud are at. Must be some tricks to it. I'm not in the A class thats why I wont compete. Talking to some of the staff at FS the goodie bag may include baby wipes, deodorant, tampons(and not necessarily for the ladies) and diapers.

Rob Ross

on 5/24/2012 8:43:19 PM
What are the prizes for the ACAM 14 tourney? anyone know.

moneill139

on 5/24/2012 9:14:15 PM
They should banish DK from from the ACAM floor. I thinks its sad people are still chasing King of Kong fistful of quarters by waisting their time on DK. This game was garbage compared to DK Jr when it came out. It's a skipping record and beyond old. It's been done. Who decided this piece of shit was the game to beat? Really?

CKFan
Admin

on 5/24/2012 10:26:24 PM
DK Jr better than DK? Seriously? You must be smoking some good stuff out there ;)

Steve W

on 5/24/2012 11:02:12 PM
My least favorite room in Venture:

moneill139

on 5/24/2012 11:35:58 PM
@CKFan. Is it me or does Mario aka Jumpman look like the comedian Gallager who smashed watermelons with a giant hammer. I think I got something here.

Rob Ross

on 5/25/2012 7:43:10 AM
Donkey Kong is a very challenging game - however, there are other games from the 80's which deserve more fame and have records that are extremely hard to achieve and competitive to capture.

I don't know how DK was crowned king.

Rob Ross

on 5/25/2012 10:34:57 AM
While I have the floor...........IMO the area ACAM uses for the tourney could be more user friendly. I would take all the games positioned on the backside of the tourney games and move them out of the way. Put them on the other side of the mini golf, jam them in where the golf simulators were, etc.

Then (with all the space created) you could have 8 main tournament games on one side (with 2 ipad volunteers) and the other seven games backed up against them (with 1 ipad volunteer). Heck you could even have more than 3 inches between each game...maybe a mind boggling 16 inches or so. Plus then you could also spread out the Manufacturer's Challenge games and give it its own separate volunteer. And place the game of the day on its own.

Wow us with what can be done at ACAM. This is the arcade tournament of all arcade tournaments! Right? Get us raving on the interwebs about the uber-awesomeness of this event so more folks pour in each year.

P.S. The promo video (Aurcade Home Page) for that Seattle Event is killer. It's dripping with production value.

moneill139

on 5/25/2012 5:38:27 PM
@steve w. Tried that game on mame last night. Hell of a lot more challenging then it looks

moneill139

on 5/25/2012 5:40:50 PM
@robross. How about us half ass gamers do some side action. Pick a game from a hat, on game a piece with small wagers?

Rob Ross

on 5/25/2012 7:13:26 PM
I will give any gamer two tokens on Super Sprint versus 1 token for me to see who can get a higher score......for cold hard cash.

Rob Ross

on 5/26/2012 8:21:50 AM
@Michael

We could get a small group of players who want to play for some cash...then grab a random stranger who goes over to the new wall of fame tv thingy and they pick a game from its listing page. All the players go to that game and get 3 attempts.....highest score wins the money thrown in.

We can call it Mystery Game Gambler.

moneill139

on 5/26/2012 10:05:33 PM
@Rob. I'm up for that.

falcor781

on 5/27/2012 6:30:03 PM
I agree that separate divisions could attract more competitors (and more revenue for ACAM). The sandbagging issue could be prevented using some combination of these approaches (I don't intend to imply that this an exhaustive list):

- Declaring at signup time whether or not you will compete in division A (pro) or division B, and not allowing any changes after the tournament has begun.

- Not allowing people who placed in the top X positions in the past N years to play in the div B tournament.

- An alternative could be to use a point-based system (i.e. 1st place in an event gets 5 points, 2nd gets 4, etc. assuming you care about top 5 placings) and you tally up points over N years. If the player's points exceeds some threshold, they can't play in div B.

- Not allowing anyone who cashed in previously to play in the div B tournament

- Going forward, anyone who places in the top M positions in the div B tournament can't play in div B any longer.

As an example, similar systems whare set up for PAPA pinball and ballroom dancing. In particular, PAPA pinball gives higher payout for the higher divisions.

Go To First PageGo To Previous Page Page: of 7 PagesGo To Next PageGo To Last Page

Forums  The American Classic Arcade Museum at Funspot  ACAM 14th Annual Classics Championship

Recent Scores
Steve Thornock
7/15/2024
Steve Thornock
7/15/2024
Jay Stacel
7/15/2024
Steve Thornock
7/15/2024
Jay Stacel
7/15/2024