Not Loged In - Login Now or Create Account
Public Forums
Forums   General Discussion  2015 Game List (ACAM)

AuthorComments:  Page: of 2 PagesGo To Next PageGo To Last Page
Rob Ross

2015 Game List (ACAM)
on 6/14/2014 9:26:09 PM
If I was in charge (will never happen) this is my 15 game slap down Id provide for the next ACAM tournament.

Hang On
Mini Putt
Iron Horse
Rastan
Track & Field
Cheyenne
Outrun
Rush N Attack
Carnival
Lady Bug
Star Castle
Wonderboy
Bank Panic
Mortal Kombat 2
Death Race

Would this be fun and challenging?

HugDD

RE: 2015 Game List (ACAM)
on 6/14/2014 10:47:39 PM
Rob Ross Wrote:
If I was in charge (will never happen) this is my 15 game slap down Id provide for the next ACAM tournament.

Hang On
Mini Putt
Iron Horse
Rastan
Track & Field
Cheyenne
Outrun
Rush N Attack
Carnival
Lady Bug
Star Castle
Wonderboy
Bank Panic
Mortal Kombat 2
Death Race

Would this be fun and challenging?

I'm very surprised your list has more than two games I've actually played before Rob. Are we talking about the button or trackball configuration for Track & Field? I like how you're so passionate on this topic. To answer your question, yes, this set of list would be challenging to myself as I'm not particularly that great at any of these titles. I love Rastan and the fact that you've included it, an adventure game. However, there would still be issues with your list:

To name a few
1)John McCallister would demolish Star Castle
2)MKII is not a classic. I'd suggest the original Street Fighter with the awkward program as most competitors would get their butts kicked (I don't see that many fighting games folks competing in ACAM Classics as it is)
3)Some of these titles have been done already

I really don't know what would be the solution to games being exceeded in play time. It's unfortunate that folks are able to play a game indefinitely, but at least the tournament is about how well you can do in all titles, and not just a select few. At the end of the day, most folks going into the competition know they're going to get their butts kicked, even after coming a long ways in many different places, and are there for a friendly, hopefully wholesome challenge.

Personally, like you, I'd like to see a variety, and perhaps more adventure and puzzle games, such as Tetris and Rastan. These classics, while some may never have even played them, let alone heard of them, have been mastered by the so called Classic Gamers. So, it's to be expected that certain players will stomp the competition.

-Duc
Galloping Ghost Arcade
Underground Retrocade

Rob Ross

on 6/15/2014 3:12:50 PM
@Duc

Track & Field is the button config which is the one they have at Funspot. I chose all the games based on what they currently have listed.

Yes, John would probably get 100 percent out of Star Castle, but last time it was in the tourney there were others on his heels. However, I think some of the other games I chose would throw a monkey wrench into the top player's gears. Did you know that John scored very low on Bank Panic and Rush N Attack when they were in the 12th edition? And I'm betting Mini Putt, Cheyenne, Outrun and Death Race would be a tough go for the elite squad too.

Now, some of the titles have been done before.....however so has Stocker, so has Night Driver, so has Food Fight, so has Jump Bug, so has Stargate, so has Space Fury and those are the games John and David excel at. And they keep scooping up the cash.

About MK2....isn't it a classic??? It's from 1993 so next year it is 22 years old. I thought after 20 years stuff was considered "classic". I say put it in. Mix it up.

And I'm a big advocate of selecting titles with limited game time. Hence my choices of Hang On, Mini Putt, T&F, Outrun and Death Race. But then I threw in the others which can be played longer because hell, we're seeing guys play Timber for 7 hours, Kickman for entire mornings Life Force for 2 hours and Crazy Kong for 1 hour plus. So why not Wonderboy, Rastan, Iron Horse or Cheyenne?

Anyway, IMO the tourney is kinda getting boring. Either Cram, Nelson or Wagner (all fantastic players) have the Manufacturer's tournament won on the first evening. So I consider that a failure. A failure to select titles to ensure deep, dramatic competition. And the Main Event is a mirror image except with loads of sandbagging.

I'm very curious to see if Galloping Ghost does a tournament. I've told the Chicago Crew I'd be willing to give ideas, suggestions and hopefully make the trip should they go forward. They are a smart group and they've seen what works and what doesn't from Funspot.

Robert

on 6/15/2014 4:15:49 PM
Actually the ACAM "Star Castle" is the hard chip...getting over 24K is exceptionally hard, and I am unsure if anyone broke the 30K barrier yet. Would make for a good title, I agree.

Unsure what "Mini Putt" is, however...never saw it there.

Rob Ross

on 6/15/2014 4:28:40 PM
Star Castle (with the hard chip) is a ball buster. I think the top scores were 20to28k the last go around. It was not on a few weeks back so I'm guessing it's broke?

Mini Putt was in the hallway between the 2 main rooms....sorta near Chiller and Crossbow. It's a rollerball mini putt simulator from the early 80's. Pretty tough to master, lots of luck involved. Gameplay would be about 5 minutes max.

Nashvillan
Admin

on 6/15/2014 10:35:50 PM
I know for a fact Mortal Kombat II would never make it in the tourney since there is no actual score in the game, thus nothing for the scorekeepers to record.

I would love to see Out Run in the lineup as well, however they may want to do a basic upright cabinet version instead of the deluxe motion cabinet downstairs. Same thing for Hang On. An upright version versus the deluxe cabinet they have.

No opinion on the other games yet, but I know Track and Field is marathonable.

Steve W

on 6/16/2014 9:57:51 AM
Nashvillan Wrote:
I know for a fact Mortal Kombat II would never make it in the tourney since there is no actual score in the game, thus nothing for the scorekeepers to record.

It would be cool if an MK2 side tourney was Nick from Magfest's next challenge.

Rob Ross

on 6/16/2014 8:13:29 PM
I did not know about MK2's lack of score. I would replace it with the original Mortal Kombat, however, a certain someone is one of the top players on that title. So scratch MK2 off my list and I'll research a replacement.

I would like to see the rideable Hang On and the sit down Outrun used. It would just look so badass in the 15 game row to see those cabs.

And Track & Field is set to only allow one go one each event and then the game ends.....no looping, thus no marathon.....not that marathoning stops games from entering the line up (Kickman, Timber).

Hyper Sports was in the Manu Tourney a few years back and it was challenging. Plus everyone got a turn after about 10 minutes of play and we all got to see the little tricks to a higher score. It was really fun.

Rob Ross

on 6/16/2014 10:57:44 PM
This is my new revised list.

I had to remove Mortal Kombat 2 and Cheyenne after checking around TGI's database.

Hang On
Mini Putt
Iron Horse
Rastan
Track & Field
Super Sprint
Outrun
Rush N Attack
Carnival
Lady Bug
Star Castle
Wonderboy
Bank Panic
Death Race

I can't find a 15th game yet......will keep searching. It might have to be a title Fumspot does not have at the moment.

nasero

on 6/17/2014 1:01:28 AM
You could throw these in it:

Twin Cobra
Ghosts `n Goblins

Games they don't have, at least on the floor that would be an interesting twist is:

Peter Packrat
Cyber Lip
Haunted Castle
Ninja Gaiden

Nashvillan
Admin

on 6/17/2014 4:22:09 AM
I have never heard of peter pack rat.

Unfortunately, the other three were made after 1987..... As much as I would love to see those selections included! I have beaten cyber-lip on one credit before and haunted castle has very addictive music and insanely tough gameplay.

bestcellar

on 6/17/2014 11:33:58 AM
I think Haunted Castle is 86, no?

Steve W

on 6/17/2014 12:28:56 PM
Nashvillan Wrote:
I have never heard of peter pack rat.

It's an awesome game. One of the Top 5 Atari System 1 games ever.

Rob Ross

on 6/17/2014 8:16:11 PM
As much as I love Twin Cobra and Ghosts N Goblins Joshy boy.....David Nelson is 7th on TC and 1st on GNG. He would still mop up with those titles. And I think Martin Bedard is 1st on TC....so he'd be on it for hours ala Life Force.

I'm gonna have to Google those other titles Josh. But I like your pushing the envelope style.

I think some of your games are 1988, 1990.....so are they allowed in the tourney. I consider them classics being 2014 and all.

Nashvillan
Admin

on 6/17/2014 9:05:31 PM
Rob Ross Wrote:

I think some of your games are 1988, 1990.....so are they allowed in the tourney. I consider them classics being 2014 and all.

Haunted Castle and Ninja Gaiden are both 1988 and Cyber-Lip is 1990.
ACAM's collection is "supposed" to cut off at 1987. Yes, I would agree with you that those years are considered classic, but it's not my decision on which games to include in tournaments.... yet!

"Shots do not hurt other players.... yet!" Gauntlet

Rob Ross

on 6/19/2014 9:05:51 PM
Besides a wilder game list I had another idea to add diversity to the tournament's standings.

It would essentially be a rule change as follows......any player who has ranked in the top twelve for either the main event or manufacturer's tournament in the last three years is not eligible to win this year's manufacturer's tournament.

Basically it would allow the "B" flight level players an opportunity to win the smaller side event. The "A" flight gamers would concentrate on the main event or games of the day.

Thoughts?

Steve W

on 6/19/2014 9:50:21 PM
I heard a rumor that other tennis players not named Nadal were posting on various tennis message boards in an effort to get the French open playing surface changed from clay to grass because they've grown tired of Nadal's success on that surface.

Robert

on 6/19/2014 10:48:55 PM
Precluding a group of games from participating in a manufacturer's challenge event is great for everyone else...but bad for those excluded.

Some top gamers travel quite a distance to get to ACAM...some well in excess of 3000 miles. Limiting them to just one event is just not fair.

Rob Ross

on 6/19/2014 11:03:13 PM
Who travelled 3000 miles for the tournament?

Rob Ross

on 6/19/2014 11:15:10 PM
@Steve W.....who may be a fellow tennis fan

The fairness in tennis comes from the multiple surfaces. Yes, Rafa dominates the French as Borg did in the 70's. However, Rafa does not dominate on the 2 hard court majors or at Wimbledon.

But more importantly, there are 3 ways to win the French Open....
1) Singles
2) Doubles
3) Mixed Doubles

Rafa could be a cocknut and play in all 3, win all 3. But he chooses the singles draw and allows the lower players (like the Bryan brothers) a chance at the doubles crown. That's fair, that's sportsmanship.

I'm just spitballing that the arcade top players could focus on the Main Event and leave the Manu to the lower players.

Page: of 2 PagesGo To Next PageGo To Last Page

Forums   General Discussion  2015 Game List (ACAM)

Recent Scores
Andrew Iwaszko
4/18/2024
Andrew Iwaszko
4/18/2024
James White
4/15/2024
Kevin Jimenez
4/15/2024
Damien Cordova
4/15/2024